200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training
Our first training weekend starts January 27!
Don’t miss out! Make 2023 the year you become a yoga teacher.
Shakti Yoga Method 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training
*Now Taking Registration for Jan 2023 Session. In-person or live stream from your home.
The Shakti Yoga 200 hour yoga teacher training was the first Yoga Alliance registered program in Newfoundland & Labrador. For over a decade Bobby Bessey (B.Sc., RYT 500, RPYT, CD-DONA, Neurogenic, TRE, Yin), and her team have been training skilled and passionate yoga teachers that now represent a significant percentage of the truly inspired yoga instructor community in our province.
Training Schedule & Dates
This 200hr Yoga Alliance Registered program takes place over the course of one year. It is comprised of 10 weekend intensives to be completed in sequential order. Participants meet once per month (except in July and August) for a full weekend of study and practice. Each weekend consists of Friday evening, and full days Saturday and Sunday. Meetings are in-person in St. John’s, NL but virtual attendance via Zoom is possible. Each training weekend will follow the schedule below (subject to change):
TIME: Fri 7:00-9:30pm, Sat 8:00am-5:00pm, Sun 8:00am-5:00pm (NDT)
DATES: Dates below indicate the date for the Friday start of each weekend for the 2023 program: Jan 27, Feb 24, Mar 31, April 28, May 26, June 23, Sep 8, Sep 29, Nov 3, & Dec 1. There are no weekend intensives scheduled for July and August. During this time participants will complete homework assignments, observe senior teachers’ classes, and do practice teaching.
Who is This Program For?
- People who want to teach yoga
- Teachers of yoga who want to deepen their understanding and experience of teaching or who wish to become Yoga Alliance Certified
- Serious students wishing to deepen their practice
- Anybody involved in healthcare or education with the desire to compliment their professional work with the vast wisdom of yoga and pass on the benefits of this ancient practice to their clients, patients or students.
- Yoga asana, pranayama and meditation (personal practice, theory and techniques)
- History of Yoga, ancient to modern
- Yoga Philosophy (Yoga Sutras, Bhagavad Gita, Hatha Yoga Pradipika)
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Teaching methodology (preparing to teach, sequencing, observation, assisting, demonstration, use of props, and more)
- Subtle body theory
- Yoga for specific populations and conditions (prenatal yoga, yoga therapy)
- Teaching ethics and the business of teaching yoga
- Asana clinic (learn to teach all major categories of yoga asana and apply through practice teaching)
- have been practicing yoga for at least one year
- have a regular yoga practice
- attend classes regularly and/or have a regular home practice
- have an interest in all aspects of yoga including philosophy, pranayama and meditation
- be in good health (physical and mental) so as to fully participate in the rigorous training schedule, however please contact us if you have a specific condition that might impact on the asana portion of your training. We have accommodated pregnant yogi trainees, those with arthritic conditions, seniors and more. Yoga is for everyone and our training goal is to mentor our trainees to teach classes that are accessible for every body and mind.
- Contact Bobby@ShaktiYogaMethod.com if you would like clarification on any of the above pre-requisites.
Applicants may be asked to participate in an application interview before acceptance to the program.
Graduates will receive a certificate showing they have successfully completed the Shakti Yoga Method 200-hour Yoga Alliance approved course. Graduates may then register with Yoga Alliance at the 200 hour level and use the Yoga Alliance RYT designation.
Bobby Bessey, B.Sc., RYT 500, RPYT, CD (DONA)
Bobby has been a teacher and student of yoga for more than two decades. She has studied in numerous yoga traditions within Canada, and has spent extended periods of time studying yoga in both India and Japan. Her love of the powerful spiritual energy of India continues to call her back regularly to deepen her practice.
It is in India, the birth place of yoga, that Bobby also studies the traditional medicinal practices of ayurveda. She combines these sister sciences in her teachings to create classes that promote wellness in mind, body and soul.
Bobby is the creator, director and lead instructor of the Shakti Yoga Method 200 hour yoga teacher training. Her 85hr Shakti Prenatal Yoga YTT, 40 hour Ayurvedic YTT, 100 hour Yin Yoga TT, and Yoga Nidra YTT are in demand both locally and internationally. While she does carve out time each year to instruct trainings outside Canada, her hatha, yin, prenatal, postnatal classes, yoga workshops, and birth preparation sessions are held throughout the year in St. John’s, Canada.
Linda Ivany, RN, BN, RYT 500
Linda developed a passion for yoga when she first stepped on the mat over thirty years ago.
She immediately fell in love with the connection to the divine source (bhavana), awareness of breath and alignment principles. This she believes is due to the fact that as a small child she always knew there was something greater than this life.
Linda has taught and studied yoga internationally. Her yoga practice has been inspired by several lineages and world class teachers including Iyengar and Ashtanga Yoga. These teachings have provided her with a unique blend of knowledge and a strong sense of who she is a person. Linda believes it is her purpose in life (dharma) to share these gifts. She is a forever student and is able to develop a deep connection with her students helping them build confidence while challenging the edges of their limitations.
Linda’s philosophical teachings remain true to her beliefs, staying true to herself and most importantly to each student. She guides all of her classes through the layers of yoga (koshas) from the skin to the soul.
Linda started her teacher training in St. John’s with Bobby Bessey and Meaghan Burridge, and completed her 300 hours yoga teacher training with Christina Sell and Gioconda Parker in Texas. She is a certified Yin Yoga Teacher and has completed innumerable workshops and trainings focusing on Ayruveda, pranayama and meditation.
Linda has a vision for Yoga in Newfoundland and held the first Yoga Conference in St. John’s. She has also supported Yoga in rural areas by opening a yoga studio in Port Rexton and offering yoga workshops and the annual Trinity Bight Yoga and Wellness Festival.
Linda is also a Registered Nurse and is currently teaching nursing. She believes these two passions are intricately linked feels blessed that she is able to open the mind and hearts of others, in an effort to creating a better world.
If you have questions about our 2023 program please contact Bobby@ShaktiYogaMethod.com with questions or to schedule a Zoom chat.
I learned that there is no perfect yoga pose, or that I have to be able to do every yoga pose perfectly, to share the love of yoga with others. I guess they helped me let go of ego and judgement of myself and others. I learned that I am enough just the way I am. I deeply value our weekends together and do miss them.